Thursday, June 21, 2007

My Dad


I love my dad and I know that he loves me, but it makes me wonder at times what made my dad be the man that he is. And it is unfortunate that we cant change them. That old saying 'you cant teach an old dog a new trick' is almost true. I say almost because he has learned some of the newer things like playing DVD's. j.k. As I was growing up I wanted a closer relationship with him but couldn't get close. When I was young maybe between 6&12 he used to drink and smoke alot and was very aggressive. Before I go on I want to say I don't blame my dad or wish he was different, he is my dad and all that made him the man he is today. My dad has a history and it is his no man can change it. There are times I wish the relationship he had with Jay was mine but I knew it couldn't. I believe having Jay made him more sensitive, I don't remember when he quit smoking or drinking but I do remember it was alot better. Jay doesn't remember this but I remember him telling dad to quit drinking. I don't remember how long it took but he did. Each one of our dads is different and no one person can help you figure them out but I can say this they are your dads, not mine. and you can't live with the old saying "I wish my dad was like his" You see though they may be hard to figure out his ways are not your ways, just like your ways are not his. You will save alot more tears getting this one point. Just like me one day you will be a dad and guess what they will not quite understand you either but let them know that you love them. I was 21 years old when my dad first told me that he loved me. it is not that he didn't love me, it was just the first time I heard him tell me. My mom always told me but to hear him say it was all I needed. Oh by the way He still tells me today and it always brings me back to that day. As a pastor I can go on with scripture how children and fathers ought to be towards each other but I believe you get the idea. On my next post I will put some scripture up.

No comments: