Monday, October 8, 2007

To Some The Last Stop

I have been given the opportunity to preach in different places before but none has made me more nervous than preaching at a nursing home. God has been good to me to give me liberty to preach at prisons,camp meetings,streets,various churches including my own. I still remember preaching for the first time back in 1999. I hadn't surrendered then but my pastor then was going out of town and asked me to fill in. But this Sunday between services was the most gut wrenching. Some might say whats the deal; well I will tell you. Most people in these homes it is there last stop. Now we all aren't promised tomorrow and I know that. But you see I can go here and there and some of them cant. Some are soon forgotten, left there because of the inconvenience they bring. Now I have visited many nursing homes since moving here to Louisiana but never preached before and in my visiting I have met many who families they have not come back to visit, so you see all this hit me hard. It is awful what they go through. God did give me liberty to preach on Heaven and just tried to be an encouragement. I thank God for Brother Dickie he is our nursing home preacher and God is Blessing him. He had to go on a trip so I filled in for him. And for all you nursing home preacher keep it up. And we also have a great bunch of others that help and that is awesome because of the singing. On average our church sends out about 10 people to nursing homes on Sundays. And that is great, the burden they have is real and I appreciate them so much but more then that I know those people in the homes love to see them come back every time.

No comments: