Thursday, October 16, 2008

How Can A Man Walk With God

Saturday night just before going to bed I had no peace about what I was going to teach for Sunday School And as I lay there I told my wife that I have to go study, Didn't know where or what to study but as I sat in my office it came clear to me, How Can A Man Walk With God, I started going through my books seeking for help, and I found what I know God was dealing with me that night. You see I struggle with my walk with Christ and I needed help. After reading some Literature of G. Campbell Morgan I got it fully. I started searching scripture and the Lord Gave me this Message to teach for Sunday School. I pray it will help you as it help me and those that attend Sunday School faithful.
HOW CAN A MAN WALK WITH GOD
Amos 3:3 Can two walk together, except they be agreed?
Now as a Christian this is the way to walk: Walking with God, Having the Communion with him.
1. Think about the Garden of Eden for a moment: what does Scripture say about this closeness with Him,
a. Genesis 3:8-10 And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day: and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God amongst the trees of the garden. And the LORD God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?
Now up until now it was a normal thing for God and Adam to be walking together, in sinless communion. They didn’t hide because they didn’t know who was that calling,
b. You think about us today, If some one calls and we don’t recognize =, we get a little defensive.
c. But you see there was something that caused a break in this walk with God, SIN!!!
2. Now there is a divine requirement revealed in Micah; Micah 6:8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?
Now #1, Do justly, Can you do that amongst the brethren, Well of course right, What about amongst the Lost, At your work, your Home, Around your family and friends, Those that are not in the church atmosphere.
Or what about to love mercy? To show kindness, to render forgiveness. Remember in Scripture where the one owed a great debt and was forgiving, What then did he in turn do to the one that owed him little.?
And to walk Humbly With thy God. Now as a Christian, Whose God? Our God.
Real Quickly, you can Not have an effect without a cause, In other words if you see 2 walking together, there is a reason why they are walking peaceably.
A. well they are agreed. There is common ground, Think about what scripture says concerning friendship;
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labour.10 For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe to him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up. 11Again, if two lie together, then they have heat: but how can one be warm alone? 12And if one prevail against him, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
Now in Scripture we see some examples of friendship. Think of the love that David had for Jonathon. And in death listen to how beautiful David says of his companion.
2 Samuel 1:23 Saul and Jonathan were lovely and pleasant in their lives, and in their death they were not divided: they were swifter than eagles, they were stronger than lions.
2 Samuel 1:26 I am distressed for thee, my brother Jonathan: very pleasant hast thou been unto me: thy love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women. 27 How are the mighty fallen, and the weapons of war perished!

Now here it is again: God and Man must agree if they are to walk together.
Remember what Job said in his most great distress: Oh that I knew where I might find Him.
Now here is the thing. We all want this. And there is a requirement. Its it possible? Of course, Why would God want that of us if there where no way.
Genesis 5:22-24 And Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah three hundred years, and begat sons and daughters: And all the days of Enoch were three hundred sixty and five years: And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.
Can you imagine the conversation.
Genesis 6:9 These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.
Noah for over 100 years preached but yet found no repentance in the people.
Some will say it is hard to live right and to do justly and show mercy, This world is wicked. But you see that should not be an excuse, it should not hinder or let it hinder your walk with God. Look at what God said about Noah; Genesis 7:1 And the LORD said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation.
What is God seeing in you this Morning or what did God see in you.
Now I know what God saw in me, and you better believe God is seeing you as well.
Nothing is hid, nothing is done in secret,
In this wicked generation what is God seeing in you.
For Noah it was found Righteous, Noah it was said,” He walked with God”.
How can a man Walk with God? Will you say I don’t know. Or will you say today show me. Well let me repeat the requirement;
Micah 6:8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?
You are going to have to make a commitment, To take a stand.
2 Kings 23:3 And the king stood by a pillar, and made a covenant before the LORD, to walk after the LORD, and to keep his commandments and his testimonies and his statutes with all their heart and all their soul, to perform the words of this covenant that were written in this book. And all the people stood to the covenant.
You are going to have to make a vow with God. I know you are thinking, But God said: Ecclesiastes 5:5 Better is it that thou shouldest not vow, than that thou shouldest vow and not pay.
That is not there for you not to make a promise, But for you to see the importance of keeping that promise.
In other words keep your word, You get mad when someone renigs on a word, well hey shouldn’t God hold you accountable also.
It is possible for us to walk with God. Think of that poem my wife loves so much; Foot prints in the Sand.
Footprints
One night I had a dream--I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord and across the sky flashed scenes from my life. For each scene I noticed two sets of footprints, one belonged to me and the other to the Lord. When the last scene of my life flashed before me,I looked back at the footprints in the sand.I noticed that many times along the path of my life,there was only one set of footprints.I also noticed that it happened at the very lowestand saddest times in my life. This really bothered me and I questioned the Lord about it. "Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you,you would walk with me all the way,but I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my lifethere is only one set of footprints. "I don't understand why in times when I needed you most,you should leave me." The Lord replied, "My precious, precious child,I love you and I would never, never leave youduring your times of trial and suffering. "When you saw only one set of footprints,it was then that I carried you."
Know let me ask you, in this poem that Mary Stevenson wrote is there scripture to it.? Off course.
Some will say what about others that claim they walk with God. Well Scripture deals with that also.
Micah 4:5 For all people will walk every one in the name of his god, and we will walk in the name of the LORD our God for ever and ever.
What does the indwelling Spirit do in us, amongst other things, Confirms our beliefs. It bears record of our Lord.
1 John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.
Now let me remind you;
2 Kings 23:3 And the king stood by a pillar, and made a covenant before the LORD, to walk after the LORD, and to keep his commandments and his testimonies and his statutes with all their heart and all their soul, to perform the words of this covenant that were written in this book. And all the people stood to the covenant.
Now this commitment is not half hearted it is to be done fully and completely. Scripture says,” With all their hearts and all their soul.”
I mean what does it really mean, So that you may win some.
We have to be building in our life with a Christ; Jude 1:20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
Building upon your Faith with God, Because just like Love or the wrong love it can waver. Some will claim to have this walk but when trials come we falter,
The Christian life is a bed of roses, BUT YOU HAVE TO CONTEND WITH THE THORNS!!!!!
Now concerning the doctrine of faith, that on which their faith itself is founded; and then the meaning is, that they should not rest satisfied in what measure of faith they had already attained, but still be improving it, and making further progress in it, not only hold fast the truth of the gospel, the right foundation on which they had begun to be built, but get themselves, by the due study and meditation of the word, more and more confirmed in the belief of it.
Now in closing will you perform? the words of this covenant that were written in this book.
Our King James Bible..
Will we like in 2 Kings Stand by this covenant?------
I like what it says in this verse: Revelation 3:4 Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a good message, but your still the same you start off with numbers for you points, then letters, then nothing, that's funny. love you bro.

your crazy,
bill

The Preacher said...

I am not much of an outline preacher, I try so hard though, It is funny how you see that, I see were the Lord is going then I put the thought and elaborate in preaching, I am lucky I can even spell, oh wait...thank you spellcheck button..hehe